To maintain an efficient fire fighting unit ready and equipped to:
- Advise the governing body on matters relating to the detection, suppression and prevention of fires in the Brigade area,
- organise and carry out fire prevention measures,
- control and suppress bush and other fires for the protection of life, property and the environment, in accordance with the provisions of the Rural Fires Act 1997, as authorised by the Fire Control Officer or any other authorised person,
- co-operate at all times with other rural fire brigades and other service organisations,
- encourage all members to undertake training, encourage the education of the community in fire prevention measures,
- promote the activities of the Rural Fire Service in accordance with the Act, and
- provide Welfare and Support
Our Brigade area of responsibility:
- is approximately 300 square km
- has a population of approx 850 people
- has approx 268 homes plus other structures
- includes hundreds of kilometres of country roads
- contains large areas of Dry Sclerophyll Forrest and grass land
The village of Captains Flat contains:
- various small businesses
- an Electrical Sub-Station
- a Swimming Pool (containing Chlorine)
- a water treatment plant (containing Chlorine).
Many of the buildings have bottled LPG which creates another hazard for which we are well prepared.
The primary call out system is Pager. Response time for the initial call-out is usually between 3 to 5 minutes.